Friday, April 1, 2011

the book club in a bag

The library is ready to roll out the new program named in honor of my friend, Anne. The book club in a bag concept has been a huge hit with her family and I received kind notes from her daughters and one granddaughter expressing how much they think she would have loved this project.  I also received a note from a former library board president who felt that it was the perfect way to honor Anne's contributions to the Friends and the community.

I hope the community takes advantage of this new service. I've sent press releases out with a photo and caption. I've facebooked it for the past week. I have a few more ideas on how to spread the word, but some of the promotion needs to come from the library itself. I'm anxious to see what sort of display the head of circulation puts together.

As I read book reviews and see tidbits about novels other avid readers are enjoying, I've even been jotting down names for next year's bags. We've already received donations to fund the continuation of the program. That is very exciting.

The big book sale is next week. It seems that our fears of not having enough books were misplaced, as we are almost back to where we were for the fall sale in regards to our inventory. That is good. I'm eager to see how our new sorting and boxing system impacts setting up the hardback fiction tables. I hope our plan helps what is usually a chaotic and mind-numbing 6 hours of work. We've presorted the books as we packed them and they should be in boxes that roughly match how the books are allocated on the tables. The concept worked for nonfiction and helped reduce that set up time from 2 days to 1 day. I'm hoping to have a similar effect in the fiction room.

We shall see on next Wednesday. In the meantime, I'm off to promote my latest 'baby' in honor of my friend.