Tuesday, April 12, 2011

the language of business

The reason I started this blog, way back when, was to honor words. The words in books, the words I wrote, and all the many words housed in the library.

Words can be very specific to a location. Pretty obvious that words used in medicine aren't going to be the same words used when a book group meets to analyse a novel. But words also change and how we communicate basic things changes too. The words used in business have changed in the 17 years I've been away.

It is no longer a Personnel Department or Human Resources. It is now Talent Acquisition. You don't orient a new employee, you have an Onboarding Celebration. With terminology like this, you could obviously date yourself by the words you choose.

I'm retro. All during my onboarding yesterday, I kept thinking about the AMC TV show, MadMen. I thought some of the appeal for the show celebrating an advertising agency in the 60's had to do with a nostalgia for that time and that attitude. With words like 'onboarding' I can understand the nostalgia for the words of yesteryear.

I wonder what new words I will learn today?

No comments: