Friday, April 15, 2011

modules give you nodules

I worked through four online training modules yesterday and I swear I could feel the nodules starting to form on my brain. I have two weeks of online training to begin on Monday morning. I will have one lumpy noggin by the time I'm finished with that phase of my education.

The training was basically an online workbook, but reading online and clicking on all the various tabs and links and graphics is not the same as having PEOPLE there to talk to you and interact with you.

Something is being lost with all this online 'stuff.' All the email. All the online messages. All the online training. The convenience of technology has sped up how we do things, but in the process it creates a different type of work and gives a rather frantic feel to the day. We rush, rush, rush all day long and are less patient and more demanding as a result of the instant gratification that comes with our cyber-world. Those people who are older than the advent of this environment, and who still enjoy a slower pace, are viewed as dinosaurs who are taking precious time away from the full inboxes, clickable links and screenshots.

Will there be a backlash? Is there a market for a slower way? Does the shifting back and forth between communicating with a person in front of you and generating dozens upon dozens of emails daily cause harm? The how and why of our communication is changing.

And, it is changing us.

No comments: