Saturday, November 22, 2008

the Twilight teen movie phenomena

The oldest daughter and I hit the theater by 6:10 for the 6:40 movie. Young girls were already lined up for the 7:20 show, which was sold out.

The best way to describe the movie is 'squeal.' They squealed at the start of the movie. They squealed when Edward came on screen for the first time. They squealed when Edward and Bella looked into each other's eyes. They squealed and then shrieked at the first kiss.

It wasn't the three teens I was with doing the squealing. It was a whole lot of preteens doing the squealing.

The post movie review from the girls I was with: cheesy, Edward had major bad hair, they loved the casting for the other Cullen kids, good scenery, the kid who played Jacob wasn't a good pick, Edward and Bella were way too awkward/stilted with each other either due to bad acting or poor direction.

The adult reaction was pretty much the same although my neighbor added that unless you'd read the books, the movie didn't make sense in parts. She found herself filling in information 'voids' from her knowledge of the stories.

All in all, it was a fun night out with my daughter., but unless you are a hard core fan, save your money until it comes out on DVD and then rent it. Or if you are in need of hearing hormonal young women squeal, shriek and swoon...go see it this weekend.

2 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I haven't heard much good, nor have I read the books but my wife is still eager to see the movie since she loved the books, so maybe I'll take her.

EYR said...

Not too many males in the theater unless you count the younger brothers who were forced to go with their moms and sisters as all the babysitters in town were there!