Monday, November 24, 2008

a trio of book bits

B&N knows how to suck me into a store and part me from my money. They sent some great coupons last week so while I was out hunting for boots, I ventured in and left with a hardcover and a paperback. I proceeded to read both over the weekend plus finish the paperback I'd started earlier in the week.

Up first....Laurell K. Hamilton is a wonderful writer and storyteller even though I wish she'd infuse some of her stories with more out of the bedroom action. In the latest Merry Gentry novel, "Swallowing Darkness," I'm happy to say that the bedroom takes a back seat to the other developments in the Seelie and Unseelie Courts. Merry is finally preggers with twins, fathered by I think 6 different men....don't ask, this is a fairy tale. Of course she is in danger and all sorts of magical attacks, defenses and happenings occur. My favorite aspect of this book has to be the vision Hamilton creates of the courts and the Sluagh. The details and descriptions of the settings and the way she develops such interesting character personality facets is really amazing. I loved the ending and while it appears that the books could be complete at this point, Hamilton has blogged that more Merry stories are to come. I'm glad as one of my favorite characters returns at the end and I must read more about him.

Next, Charlaine Harris had a mystery series she did in the mid 90's called the Aurora Teagarden books. The basic premise is a small town librarian becomes an amateur sleuth. I found books two and three at our last book sale and then purchased book four at B&N. 'Roe' is out to solve the mystery surrounding "The Julius House." The house's former occupants just vanished almost seven years ago. As the house is her new home, a wedding gift from her hubby, who is quite mysterious in his own right, she wants to learn what happened. These stories could be called 'cozy mysteries' but I think they have a bit more grit to them than some of the cozies I have read. Good easy read for a cold winter's day. Roe is a delight and Harris knows how to plot a book.

Finally, I finished "Carpe Demon" by Julie Kenner. This was the demon hunting soccer mom book I wrote about last week. Well, of course, no soccer is in this book which is a bummer for this soccer mom. Instead the teenage daughter is a cheerleader...what?! All in all, the book was okay. I won't read another one as I just don't care for the whole mommy-lit genre it seems. It was cute, but I finished it more because I started it than because I was entertained. Just not for me.

The finale of HBO's True Blood was good. I was glad they wrapped up the murder mystery in the first half hour and then spent the next half hour setting up season two. My favorite scene had to be when Pam and Eric dropped Jessica off at Bill's. That was too funny. The new season will start in the summer. Alan Ball has said that he would veer from the books at this point, but from this finale, it seems that several plot lines may continue forward. My hope for season two is to see more of Eric. I just have a thing for tall, blonde undead Vikings.

Speaking of undead things, demons, evil fairies and murder....I have to walk into Wal Mart today....if I don't blog tomorrow, you'll know what happened!!

By the way, I bought boots at the Clark's store and also a pair of walking shoes. Merry Christmas to Liz from the hubby for the next few years! Pricey, but my word are they comfortable.

1 comment:

Anne's BLOG said...

Hooray for Clark's Shoe Store ! Finally you're booted up...:-)