Friday, November 21, 2008

off to the movies

I've blogged a bit about the whole Twilight book phenomena and how when I was working at the library (and getting paid to do so) I ordered the book and read it before I was even allowed to put it out on the floor. When the system works right, the library would receive books before they were actually allowed to be sold or circulated.

I'm a sucker for vampire novels...pun totally intended. I read Anne Rice when I was in high school and moved on to read any fang driven story I could find. I read Twilight and enjoyed the teen angst in the novel. Was it the best vampire story I'd ever read? No. Was it the worst? No. Was it the best written book I'd ever read? No. Did I think the YA girls would love it. YES! It was Romeo and Juliet with a paranormal twist. Forbidden love is one of those universal Joseph Campbell-esque themes.

As I continued to read subsequent Meyer offerings about Edward and Bella, I slowly became disenchanted with her characterizations. I borrowed the last book from a friend and was glad I did. Because it wasn't mine, I didn't pitch it across the room and damage the wall or the book. Some of the themes in the books are disconcerting. Teen marriage and pregnancy should not be glamorized. The age gap and the control issues surrounding the protagonists should give a mature adult pause.

My oldest daughter and I have enjoyed lengthy discussions about the characters in these novels, how they act and react, their emotions and their thoughts. She succinctly stated at one point that Bella needed a spine; she was a total drama-mama.

So, why then would we fork out the $20 to see the movie. Well, she decided she wanted to see it and I decided I would go with her to see it. The opportunity to talk with her about relationships, feelings, emotions, boys etc. is important. More important than my attitude towards the themes in the story's arc. I have no doubt that the books and the movie will be cafeteria fodder for weeks to come. She will want to join in this conversation and needs to be able to speak in an informed fashion about both book and movie.

With that in mind, we are off to see the 6:40 show with two other moms and their daughters.

1 comment:

Anne's BLOG said...

I hope the movie adventure and its related conversations will be fruitful. I admire you greatly for being a good listener and responder. Nothing is more important.