Tuesday, November 25, 2008

this and that discoveries

As I am blogging today, I obviously survived the trip to Wally-world yesterday. I arrived at 8:50 and was out of there by 9:15. The site to store service area was easy to find and the items we ordered, three rolling duffels for the kids, were in and quickly loaded into my cart. I'm not a fan of this store, but the service was good and pickup was convenient. So, if you need to shop online and want to save yourself the shipping cost, thumbs up to this option of site to store free delivery.

Other things I discovered yesterday.....bread is way more expensive at Wally-world versus Schnucks. Unreal.

Butternut squash is hard to find this time of year, but I'm determined to make the roasted squash soup my neighbor served a few Thanksgivings back. It was yummy. I found one squash at Wally and one at Schnucks.

After I talked with my mom yesterday, she passed along the fact that her father mentioned he wondered if his cousins were still around. These folks would have been the children of his father's brother. So, I looked up my Grandfather's uncle, Ezra Self, and found his tree on ancestry.com. A few short clicks later, I had a phone number for my Grandfather's cousin, Marcia Ann. Gave her a call and spoke with her for a good twenty minutes. Hung up and called my Grandfather and passed along her number. He's over 90 and she is in her 80's and they haven't spoken in decades. They were both thrilled. I hope her daughter calls me as she has grave marker rubbings from some of the Selfs buried in Missouri. What a fun and productive good deed to do.

Tang is hard to find. I love to make what I call Friendship Tea out of Tang, lemonade, instant tea and spices. I drink gallons of it in the winter. I found only one small container of Tang yesterday. Bummer. Is Tang going away??

I'm procrastinating on coming up with a plan for Paris. I've looked at the online two and three day self guided tour recommendations and I just can't settle on an approach. Yikes. It is overwhelming because I just keep thinking, what if we never get to go back and I miss seeing something? Yes, quite unreasonable because I know I can't see it all, but that thought keeps lurking in my head and stopping me from making choices on how best to spend those hours we are in Paris. Arghhh.

I'm off to the bookstore today then home this afternoon to start preparing for the big feast. I think I may do some pies tonight as well as start chopping up other ingredients.

3 comments:

Anne's BLOG said...

What a wonderful thing you did - finding and connecting to the long-lost cousins! That's exciting. Playing detective is FUN!
Bread cheaper at Schnucks? Who knew?
I miss Tang, too. My 'friendship tea' evolved into a brew using Countrytime Lemonade and instant tea. I make a gallon at the time, which the kids call "Gramma's Sweet Tea".
After a woman's club meeting, I hope to stop by the bookstore. Being almost out of 'something to read' is scary.

EYR said...

Good, I hope to see you today at the store!

Anonymous said...

I have a similar recipe but we call it russian tea. One calls for tang and another removes it completely and is way more tasty than the 1st. I grew getting friendship Tea/russian tea every winter and its hard not to have it.
I'll email you with the other tang free version if you are interested. It uses OJ vs. lemonade
Kristi