Friday, November 14, 2008

comfort zone

I can be such a creature of habit. My husband says he can tell time by my morning routine. I remember when I was in banking how our security officer would lecture management on the importance of driving to/from work via different routes and arriving/departing at different times. I tried to follow his advice, I truly did! But more often than not, the car and I were on autopilot. I have some major comfort zones in my life.

Last night my oldest had her soccer banquet. She can be such a confident and collected girl, but for some reason she has struggled with keeping her head up on this team. There is a visible difference in how she carries herself when she takes the field for practice or a game now that her competitive league season has started. She looks more relaxed and more at ease. But at last night's event, she slipped back into that more timid girl. We talked about it after we got home.

It boils down to confidence and comfort zones. I don't think she felt like she deserved to be on the high school team. And then once she made the team, she never felt like she fit in with the other players.

The thing is, she realizes all of this. She is a very mature young lady and she has already decided to work on making her comfort zone larger.

If I can encourage in her that life skill, one that I often struggle with, I will be happy and she will be better off for it.

2 comments:

Anne's BLOG said...

Habits are hard to break, or even amend. I sometimes find myself on Poplar headed to my destination with no recollection of having noticed what was passing by...

Kim Smith said...

IT will come! I promise :)