Friday, November 7, 2008

something fun

My oldest jumped on the bed last night after she got cleaned up from keeper practice and started to tell me about a couple of her friends. I guess they both think that I am the coolest mom and they just can't talk to their moms like she talks to me.

Now, I guess that means that she is relaying some of the conversations we've had. Or it means that in talking about her home life, these girls have an impression of our relationship.

I've never thought of myself as a cool mom or that my daughter's friends would think that. I don't dress cool...I'm pretty well stuck in the cable sweater and penny loafer mode. I don't have any uber cool hobbies, beyond reading which is of course the coolest.

I do like to watch some of the same shows as she does. What is not to love about the guilty pleasure that is Gossip Girl?

Maybe it all comes down to communication. My daughter and I talk...a lot. Nothing is forbidden. I ask and she spills. She asks and I offer my ideas or opinions. Not that the level of communication hasn't evolved, because it has. There are times, I'm sure, when she thinks I am the most uncool mom on the planet.

But, for her to tell me that revealed a pride she has in me, which is something fun for today.

2 comments:

Anne's BLOG said...

A mother who LISTENS and talks is the greatest treasure a girl can have. Cherish it.

I still miss my mother, who died in 1986. She was cool before we knew the meaning of 'cool'.

Kim Smith said...

This friendship will only grow with time, until one day you will smile at her and say I love these talks. I know I have this myself, and it is the best part of a visit.