Friday, August 20, 2010

the girl with....

Yep, I caved yesterday while I was in Target buying all sorts of junk and bought the paperback of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."  I skimmed a few pages yesterday, but wasn't in the mood to read, so perhaps today I can actually get into the story.

I'm sort of eager to see what the fuss is all about.  I was tempted to order up the Swedish film version of the book, and will most likely do so and watch it before any US version arrives in theaters.  I don't mind subtitles and it might be neat to see the homegrown take on the novel.

Before I settled on buying this book, I scanned the shelves to see what else was out there. Target seems to have lessened the amount of titles they are stocking at the moment. I'm not sure if it is because our local store is being remodeled or if this is a new approach.  The shelves were not stuffed, and most books only had two to three copies.  The YA section was interesting to see as it looks like someone lost control of a paint sprayer filled with black paint.  Seriously, almost every YA title they had stocked featured a black cover. If I was publishing a YA book, I'd think the best thing to do was to put some vibrant color on that black and make it visually pop.  Or step totally out of the current trend and do an all vibrant cover! Whoa.

I was happy to see copies of Michelle Moran's books on the shelves.  I also found copies of two books I've been wanting to read for a while and have not been able to find at the library. Looks like I will try again and see if I can at least put them on hold.

Yes, it is Friday and the weekend is upon us.

No comments: