Tuesday, April 16, 2013

boston

I've been to Boston. It was a long time ago. A friend of mine needed a date for a company Christmas party and I needed to get away and have some fun. So, I flew to Boston and we had a nice weekend. Neat town. Lots to see and do in the city and in the surrounding area.

Boston is on folk's minds for another reason. What happened yesterday is stunning and sickening. Along with several other folks in our town, my thoughts flew immediately to one of my neighbors and his wife. This man serves on the library board with me and is very active with our main street group. He was running the marathon in honor of his wife who has MS. I had just visited with them a week or so ago and we talked about the race and their trip to Boston. After we first heard of the bombings, it took about a half hour before he was able to get a post/tweet out to his family and friends that he and his wife were both okay. He was about 2 miles from the finish when the bombs went off and his wife was just starting to make her way to the finish line area.

Timing is everything. So glad they are okay. So horrified for those who are not. Last night they were interviewing a trauma surgeon. We just did an article in the new magazine on trauma and the surgical/medical skills needed to assist victims of traumatic injury. It is gruesome work. Our military medics have become quite good at stopping the blood loss and saving lives, although saving limbs is another matter. Biomedical research is important. What they learn in war does have applications on the domestic side.

Bombings in our cities is not something we are used to. We shouldn't have to get used to it. But, I'm glad that there are doctors and EMTs and others who rush into the smoke and debris to help.

We will learn more about this as the hours tick by. As far as I know, no one has claimed responsibility for this horrific act.




1 comment:

Lisa Shafer said...

There were photos of snipers circulating last night, although I'm not sure how snipers fit in with a bombing. I don't recall that there were any shootings.