Monday, February 28, 2011

Fictional character cameos, or when Lestat makes an appearance

I was reading along in "A Discovery of Witches" when the plot took our hero into New Orleans. Yep. And in this world where vampires, witches and daemons coexist with humans, a trip to New Orleans can only mean one thing.

At the top of page 206, although not called by name, Lestat makes an appearance. I reread the paragraph more than once, just to make sure I was reading what I thought I was reading. To confirm, I logged into facebook, shot Anne Rice a note on her 'wall', and waited for a reply. She did so, and noted that she'd heard of this inclusion and wondered, as she hasn't read the book, if she and her character should be flattered. I said, yes, absolutely, as the book is well written and the story a good one.  I included a bit of the description, and although she disagreed with Lestat being described as 'foppish', she prefers to think of him as a 'dandy', she seemed humored.

Ah, the joys of the Internet age. Of course I was and am tickled pink that she wrote back on my comment. But, that is the kind of author she is.  Her fans mean a great deal to her and she interacts with them daily.

This isn't the first time I've discovered characters from different authors and novels making cameo appearances in another writer's fiction. Sara Donati had a scene where Jamie and Claire Fraser from Diana Gabaldon's series make an appearance. Loved it.  Charlaine Harris even had Lily Bard show up in a Sookie story. Very Fun.

It seems, as I communicated to Anne Rice, a delicious inside joke between the author and the reading fans. Just an added bonus to bring a smile to the reader's face, if they understand the connection.

No comments: