Tuesday, February 22, 2011

the big fantasy series

Our book donation pile for the library is a wonderful thing. I've found some real treasures in those bags and boxes folks bring to us for our sales and store. Several months ago I found a series by Gail Z. Martin. This is a four book series, from what I can tell, containing all the elements of the 'big' fantasy stories. I've started the first book, "The Summoner" which clocks in at 637 pages. Each subsequent book is just as long. The series is called The Chronicles of the Necromancer. The hero has the magical ability to summon ghosts, ghosts who are quite resourceful and able to help him in his quest to reclaim his father's throne.

I've read a variety of this huge fantasy series, everything from Tolkien to George RR Martin to Terry Brooks.

I used to love them, back in the day. For now, I can't say that I'm loving this current book, but it is entertaining and perhaps just what I need to read to keep my mind occupied in those moments when I'm not dealing with the current real world issues.

No comments: