Friday, February 25, 2011

a discovery of witches and other new things.....

While at the library for my regular Thursday morning routine, I had a lovely chat with the adult ref librarian about books. We talked about authors, novels and book marketing. Fun times for me!! I had recently put a couple of titles on hold and she let me know that one of the books was available and ready to be checked out. I was happy to learn that the book in question was "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness. This book is getting a lot of buzz and so far, it is well deserved. I'm loving it. The plot had me firmly in its clutches by page five.

In other discoveries, I have a 'real' job interview on Monday afternoon. Real. Interview. Bank.

Good grief, am I really going to return to the career I left 17 years ago?  Well, after trolling the Internet sites of all the banks in the area and making a list of possibilities and then thinking of who I knew at said institutions, I made one phone call. The lady in question is a regional manager now, who told me 7 years ago to call if I ever wanted back 'in'.  I did and she said meet me Monday at 1:00. Just like that.

Now, that is not to say that the interview will secure me the job. But it is more than I've done in a long time.  I'm very conflicted about this. The money would be most welcome. The hours are tolerable. The location is tolerable. The co-workers, according to my contact, are tenured and this is a very stable staff....which is usually a good thing in a neighborhood bank.

So, we will see. In the meantime, I need to acquire some interview clothes. My current wardrobe isn't what anyone would consider business ready, but that can be remedied, I hope, by a strategic strike at the mall. A nice outfit and a new pair of shoes should do the trick.

Lots of discoveries ahead for me as I contemplate this huge change in my life and in the lives of the four folks who mean the most to me in all the world.

No comments: