Friday, February 11, 2011

storytime on the square

As the sun came out yesterday in full force, shining bright in a clear blue sky, and the temperature rose higher than expected, the icy roads melted away and everyone is off to school today. Which means that I am the reader for our local Story time on the Square event this morning. I was signed up to read twice, but my first date was a snow day and story time was cancelled.

Today I will be reading "I Like to be Little" by Charlotte Zolotow. One of the girls received this book as a gift from my best friend one year for Christmas. It is a lovely story about the joys of being little. I read it aloud a few times yesterday to practice and I think I am ready to go.

In other news, our school consolidation mess grows more messy by the hour. The state has passed a law that is waiting for the governor's signature as they have horses in this race since they fund the schools. The city council is telling the state to back off and has accepted the city school board surrender, officially, last night in an unanimous vote. So, I suspect it will now go to the courts and the lawyers. More money wasted.

Of course, this still continues to be about money, ego and power and not about education. It is about saving face. The dialogue has deteriorated to name calling, racial invectives and tired old stereotypes. Sickening. No one is going to be a winner in any of this; not the politicians, local or state, not the children, county or city.

But, I do have some children to tend to today. And I'm excited to share one of my favorite books with them.

Happy Friday.

No comments: