Monday, September 13, 2010

roll with the punches

The youngest has an appointment with the allergist this morning. This is a recheck visit and possibly the beginning of allergy shots for him.  As I have no idea how long we will be there, and the last visit was 3 hours long, I've not made any plans for today.  I will just have to roll with the punches and see what I can accomplish when I finally return home.

I finished reading the two Patricia Briggs books featuring coyote 'walker' Mercy Thompson. I love this series.  Up next is a Karen Harper historical fiction novel based upon Kat Ashley's life. Kat was the woman who raised Elizabeth I after Anne Boleyn's execution.  Harper is a wonderful Tudor England novelist and I actually prefer her novels to those from Phillipa Gregory.

Apparently the author visit at the Library on Saturday didn't go over very well. Only 3 people attended the program by Mark Grisham....the 'famous' last name didn't bring the readers out.  But, as an indoor program was competing with a huge college football weekend and lots of outdoor kid sports, I guess it was sort of inevitable.  Still, I hate to see programs not have a decent number of attendees.

The Library called me to let me know that my reserved copy of "Mockingjay" has arrived. Yippee....I'm anxious to read the novel as reviews have been all over the chart on this final book in the Suzanne Collins trilogy.  I actually read an interesting article comparing Bella Swan of "Twilight" fame to Katniss Everdeen from the "Hunger Games" series.  I didn't agree with the author's conclusion, but it did provide a different perspective on these two female protags and how they might be perceived by the reading audiences.

Off to get ready for the day, even a Monday can be okay if the sun is shining and the air is crisp.

No comments: