Thursday, January 3, 2013

the great gatsby

The middle kid rented a couple of movies while we were at the library last week. She chose Rock of Ages and Mirror, Mirror. I had seen Rock of Ages already as hubby and I rented it one weekend, but we had not seen Mirror, Mirror.

But, this post isn't about either movie, although both were fun to watch. I particularly enjoyed singing along with Rock of Ages. And even though Tom Cruise was in the movie, I have to admit he did a great job playing the drunken, aging rocker. Mirror, Mirror was humorous and Julia Roberts stole the show with her snarky queen.

I digress. What I was really excited to see was the preview for The Great Gatsby. Leonardo DiCaprio is going to play Gatsby. Brilliant! The sets, costumes, and cinematography visible in the preview looked incredible. I know that is what a preview is supposed to do. They are designed to make the film look awesome, and this one did. What really hooked me was the billboard. Yep, there were those eye glasses looking down from on high. Took me right back to my freshman year in Mr. Van Goey's class when he had us offer up ideas on just what those glasses might mean.

Now, the preview said the movie was going to be released Christmas 2012. Guess that didn't happen. Not sure what is going on with Baz Luhrmann and this film. Guess I need to head over to IMDB and check things out.

And remember, Dr. T.J. Eckleburg is watching!!

2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Ah, I'm afraid I couldn't care less about DiCapprio when Robert Redford once played that role. :)

EYR said...

Oh, I agree! Redford was amazing and I loved Mia Farrow as Daisy. But, as far as a remake goes, I think DiCaprio will do a good job as Gatsby. I loved him as Howard Hughes in The Aviator.