Tuesday, April 21, 2009

leadership event

Today I get to put on some 'church' clothes and head over to the Chamber of Commerce for the morning. Hubby and I both went through our Town's Leadership program after we moved here. It was probably one of the best investments we made upon our arrival. We both learned a great deal about the Town, the people who live here and the opportunities available to become involved. It helped us feel immediately connected.

So today I get to give back. I'm there to talk about the Library and the Friends. I will have a friend with me to give moral support and help field questions. I've printed off bookmarks (so glad I had that pdf, Anne), the annual report I compiled for 2008 and membership applications. I also have a few of our wonderful book bags and a couple of our wooden collectibles featuring local landmarks.

The theme for the day is "Altruism" and I hope that a few of this year's class decides to become more involved in our Town and if they don't serve with the Friends, they serve on the many other boards and organizations available. I live in a great Town, but it is the people that make it special.

In other news....one of my friends, who I was in Leadership with, posted about yesterday being Pineapple Upside Down Cake Day on her facebook page. Oh my. I had an instant craving, so while I was at the store, I grabbed a mix, time constraints prevented a 'from scratch' attempt, and headed home. My old size 8 cast iron skillet baked a beautiful cake...the oldest is having a piece for breakfast.

I started to read a YA series yesterday. The first book, "Marked," by mother-daughter duo P.C. and Kristin Cast is very entertaining. The theme is vampires, of course. But, they've put quite a spin on the mythology of the vampire and built a pretty neat world for themselves in which to set the characters. Thumbs up so far.

Happy Tuesday......

1 comment:

Anne's BLOG said...

I'm glad the pdf was available, too, for the bookmarks! Glad to know you had to pick up the mix...I figured you had the Pineapple Upside Down Cake ingredients on hand, and just whipped it up! Have a great day at Leadership. I'm sure you can 'sell' the Friends activities. :-)