Wednesday, August 8, 2007

why write?

Just finished reading one of the blogs I frequent. Several of the comments to yesterday's topic included reasons why that person wrote. A few honest souls admitted they write because they want to be 'known' and they want to make some money to boot.

Every so often I sit and stew over why I write. I've always written and have hand scribbled ramblings from grade school to prove it. Yes, I have stories knocking about in my head and I enjoy putting them down on paper. That doesn't mean I'm good at it. It doesn't mean I'll ever be published. So, what does it mean?

My writing seems to serve a purpose in my life. It is like the cliched faithful friend. Most people have one. The person you can go years without seeing or chatting with and when you bump into them or call them, the years disappear and you pick up right where you left off. My writing has always been there, but I began writing in earnest after my third child was born. When I put him down for his naps, I'd fire up the computer and write for those few hours. It gave me a respite from my two older kids and gave them some time away from me. They'd watch some Disney movie and I'd venture back to medieval Scotland.

I wrote commercially and made some pocket money in the newsletter business a friend and I started. I sold an essay to a nationally published magazine. However, I've never queried my fiction. I'm not sure if it is fear or sheer lack of motivation that keeps me from trying. It isn't easy to get published and I'm not at all sure why I want to be.

Do I want to be 'famous'?
Do I want to make money?
Do I want to see my name on the spine of a book?
Do I want to entertain people?

Writers harp about the importance of GMC (goal, motivation, conflict) in a well crafted book. What about the GMC in the writer's life? If/when I start the query process, I need to understand my own GMC. I may be approaching that point.

No comments: