Monday, April 30, 2007

zapped

I've been zapped. Why is it that family can drain you like nothing else? Anyone have a 'quiet' room where I can go and sit in a corner and stare off into space for a few hours until my head can decompress?

It's not just getting ready for company, although that too can be tiring. It is being on guard for hours and hours. Watching every word. Having people under foot. Deflecting attempts to interfere. Ignoring idiotic comments. Listening to the same damn stories for the 100th time. Watching adults still trying to resolve child/parent issues that should have been either forgiven or forgotten decades ago. Watching siblings work out insecurity and jealousy issues.

I feel like I've run a freaking marathon. The majority of the company left yesterday. The only one I was sad to see leave was my best bud who flew in from Chicago for the weekend. Thank God she came. I don't think I'd be capable of any higher thought if she hadn't stayed with us.

The last guest leaves tomorrow. I can't wait to have my house and my life back. A brain would be nice also.

2 comments:

Emily Hendricks said...

Don't worry. Soon it will be all be over, and you'll be able to breathe again.

But you know, don't think of them as "houseguests". Think of these people as "perfect story material."

EYR said...

Hah....that is a great thought, and boy can they provide the material!