Tuesday, April 3, 2007

perspective

I actually sat down to write yesterday and was able to churn out over 1500 new shiny words. Well, they were shiny to me as I wrote them, not sure how they will look this morning. I also read a chapter for a friend and hopefully helped her with my insightful comments. LOL.

She's having a spot of trouble with a scene and is going to step away from the story for a bit to see if that will shed some new light. Perspective isn't always easy to find.

I fully intend after I type in the two words, "the end," to set my WIP aside for a spell before I begin edits. I will need the distance to give me the correct perspective on the story. I know the story has character and plot threads that will be snipped and some that will be expanded. But, I have to be able to see them first. I need a pair of refreshed eyes.

Sometimes the inspiration comes to us so fast and furious it is hard to see how that scene or character will impact the entire story. We frantically write it all down and in the afterglow forget that it might not work in the grand scheme of things. You fall in love with the idea, but maybe the rest of your book won't support the concept. That is where distance and perspective help.

Sort of like the line from Risky Business..."Joel, step away from the babysitter." This time, "Writer, step away from the WIP."

No comments: