Monday, July 5, 2010

the passage

Several months back I read a brief bit about the upcoming 'debut' novel about a vampire virus that decimates the country. I filed that tidbit in the back of my noggin and waited for the book to come out.  Well, when it finally did, I had to wait some more to get my hands on it from the library.  I picked it up on Thursday and finished it last night.

Wow.  Before I started reading, I scanned the blurbs on the back cover and read the one from Stephen King. Spot on blurb. I was totally captivated by page 30 and the captivation lasted until the final page, 766.

Justin Cronin has created one heckuva novel. This book soars. Great, great storytelling. I'm not even going to try and condense the plot, no way I could do it justice. Gripping. Riveting. Haunting. The writing is lean, strong and powerful. The characters are rich, complex and so vivid.

This is a really, really good book.

Now my to be read pile is empty. I have nothing to read today, nothing at all.  Think I will give my eyes a break and take the day off.

No comments: