Thursday, July 15, 2010

my name is memory

If I am remembering correctly, I read a review for this book at the same time I read one about "The Passage". I jotted both titles down on a piece of scrap paper and waited for the library to obtain the titles so I could reserve them.  "My Name is Memory" by Ann Brashares explores the idea of reincarnation and soul mates in a very thoughtful and interesting way, but I was a bit disappointed in the ending.  I guess I am going to have to see if I can determine whether or not a sequel is planned.  Too many unanswered questions and unresolved issues were left for the reader to ponder.

The basic gist of the story is that a soul named Daniel keeps being reincarnated over the past 1500 years.  He has a variety of lives, some good and some bad, but he is connected to a soul named Sophia in many of his existences.  The reader witnesses several of their encounters and is of course cheering for them to finally find each other and be together for a lifetime. 

I enjoyed the book and thought that at times Brashares writing and storytelling were just spectacular.  At other times I wished some of the supporting characters were more fully revealed.  Daniel's brother and the character "Ben" both could have been explored in more depth, and perhaps if a sequel is in the works, we will learn more.

I've not read any of Brashares other books, including the Sisterhood series, but she continues to be a very popular YA author and while this book is technically an adult fiction title, more mature YA readers would most likely enjoy the story.

Hotter than hot here today and while the lawn needs mowing and the dog(s) need walking, I think both will wait.

Stay cool.

No comments: