Friday, December 18, 2009

christmas past

As I've been putting together recipes and ingredients for the cookies and candies we will make this year for Christmas, I've been thinking about my Grandma Hillsman who passed away this past January. She was an amazing baker and at Christmas time she would fill the top of a picnic table with nut rolls, breads, and other assorted goodies for the holiday. I could so go for a slice of her apricot roll or one of her apricot filled cookies right now.

We went to Pennsylvania several times for Christmas. My earliest memory, and this one may be enhanced by the retellings I've heard, is of when my grandfather wrestled Santa for more presents. He came out of the basement, pants torn and dishevelled after taking down the jolly old elf to make sure we got our fair share.

I also remember singing in the choir loft with him and my cousins Andria and Cindy at one Midnight Mass. I remember lots of people crowded into their small house, adults clustered around the dining room table and cousins playing on the floors hoping not to be stepped on.

When I was older I remember driving there with my folks, but I flew home as I had to be at work so soon after the holiday. The trip to the airport was treacherous, but my Dad got me there safe and sound then had to take that nasty drive on the turnpike back to Nemacolin.

I remember Christmas at home, going to St. Jude for Mass, having our Christmas Eve fish dinner, our version of the wigilia meal. I ordered my oplatke and have it ready for next week. I'll be thinking of my brother a world away and wishing he was at home with his wife and kids having his wigilia dinner.

We are going to stay awake and attend Midnight Mass tonight. The kids have never been to one and there is something so beautiful and special about that Mass in particular. If it takes naps, coffee or as the middle kid is planning, energy drinks, we are going to do that this year.

Because that is how you make those memories that stay with you....long after the last apricot roll is eaten.

No comments: