Wednesday, February 18, 2009

short week and The Shack

My three kids had the past two days off from school. Although I hate the fact that the school year will not end until after Memorial Day, I did enjoy having a small break in the routine. I took the oldest with me yesterday to the library so she could work on an English project while I manned the bookstore.

Hopping day at the library....lots of folks using computers, using the reference collection (what is it about the third quarter in school that dictates research projects), and shopping in our bookstore. She managed to get several new sources lined up for her paper and I managed to sell close to $100 in only 3 hours. Success all the way around.

Today I should be cleaning the house and completing tasks I've postponed in order to do other things with the kids. Hard to get back to work after playing for four days.....ahhh, the dust will wait. I hear the books on my nightstand calling.

Speaking of books......a copy of "The Shack" appeared in our donations pile and I quickly grabbed it to read. I've heard a variety of opinions and comments on this book from store visitors, soccer parents etc. Anything that stirs the religion pot has to be read! So, I spent yesterday afternoon reading. This is not a well written book, but it does pose some interesting views/ideas on the nature of God, faith and how we interpret spiritual matters. I could immediately see why some local preachers, according to comments I've heard, are actually preaching against this book from the pulpit. Organized religion and the idea of "us vs. them" in faith matters takes a hit. The biggest sticking point for some is of course Jesus' portrayal as a Jewish carpenter, no he doesn't look like an Anglo-Saxon from central casting, who actually says that he isn't a "Christian" and his life was not meant to be copied! Talk about stirring the pot!! The main message of the book is love and forgiveness....and those two points, I hope, are difficult for anyone of any faith, to argue.

No comments: