Wednesday, February 4, 2009

on writing

I picked up Stephen King's book "On Writing" at one of our book sales. It was a fabulous read, had lots of great advice and was of course, very well written. So, when I saw the following article, it tweaked my interest.

http://blogs.usaweekend.com/whos_news/2009/02/exclusive-steph.html

Hope the link works....Mr. King's comments about Stephenie Meyer are rather insightful.

I'm off to the library again today. It is one of those weeks when I'm there every day it seems. I still need to pick out a stack of YA books to read. Perhaps before the executive board meeting I can fill a bag. I ran numbers on the store this week. I hadn't tackled my excel sheets since, gulp, July. So, I brought them up to date and learned just how much the store has made since we opened. It is a significant number and it gave me a moment of pause. I'd just finished reading an agent's blog about the future of bookstores and publishing. The whole brick-n-mortar store versus online retailers; e-books versus print books; the disappearing midlist author versus the sure thing author. Here is the link for that article.....http://www.nathanbransford.blogspot.com/

Just like the old saying goes, the only thing that is sure in life is that nothing is sure in life.

2 comments:

Kim Smith said...

Yes ma'am and ain't i glad to be a small press published author who is moving up those ranks??? at last i have finally made a RIGHT decision!

Anonymous said...

Couldn't click through to King's comments, but the article is interesting!!!! Love checking in on your blog every now and then! I really enjoy it!
Elizabeth