Monday, February 16, 2009

blooming

The daffodils in the flower bed outside of my kitchen window are blooming. These flowers came a couple of years ago from a farm in a nearby county. My neighbor goes to church with the farmer and he invited her out to dig up buckets of bulbs as he was selling the farm to a subdivision developer. She brought back several buckets of them and shared with me. These flowers are a paler yellow than the daffodils I've purchased via Breck's and they also bloom much earlier. They are shorter and more dainty in appearance, very petite daffodils, but they propagate more quickly and are quite hardy.

I love spring flowers and wish tulips flourished here. Tulips bloom once and then as the soil doesn't ever get cold enough to keep them from rotting, they just don't come back for an encore performance. They are the one flower I miss from Indiana.

So, for now I will enjoy the first daffodils of the season and nurture the itch in my fingers to go and clean out flower beds, weed and spread a new layer of mulch.

Spring is just about sprung.

Today is my parents' wedding anniversary.....I hope their weather is as nice as it is here. Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

2 comments:

Anne's BLOG said...

Yes, when the buttercups (aka daffodils) start blooming, you know that spring really Is on the way. I have several buttercups blooming in the front yard, and a few more in the back. I look forward to these blooms every year, and especially watch for the clumps of minatures. Those tiny flowers are so elegant. I can't wait to see them opening up.

Kim Smith said...

I worry about the new blossoms. IT seems too early to me.