Friday, July 13, 2007

history buff

Will be stopping in the library today to pick up Michelle Moran's new release, "Nefertiti." I'd instructed our adult librarian to order multiple copies and she called yesterday to let me know they came and and were ready to be checked out. Yeah!

I'm a sucker for a good historical and when I was ordering YA books for the library, I sometimes had a difficult time finding these books for the collection. Before I left my job, I'd placed a huge order. As a volunteer I processed the order once it came in, but I failed to jot down the titles I'd wanted to read. Now I'm stuck scanning the shelves and hoping a title jogs my addled brain.

I stumbled across "The Moon Riders" just this week. Needless to say, I devoured the book. The author had seen the same documentary I'd watched a while ago about women warriors of lower Asia and their grave mounds. She went on to do something I thought would be a great idea. That is, to write a fictional account of this culture. She intertwined their story with that of Cassandra and Helen and the epic battle of Troy. The result is a solidly entertaining historical confection.

Just wish the YA market had more historical fiction available.

2 comments:

Michelle Moran said...

Hi Liz,

I hope you enjoy the book ;] I'm a longtime reader of your blog, but an infrequent poster (oh, the shame). If you have any questions about the history behind NEFERTITI once you've finished it, don't hesitate to write!

EYR said...

Just emailed you:)