Saturday, July 14, 2007

doorways, collection development and change

Walked into the library foyer yesterday and lo and behold, they'd cut the door for the bookstore. After a false alarm on Thursday, the workers showed up and removed three switch plates before leaving, the hole was made Friday morning at 7:30.

It seems the Friends of the Library will be operating a used book store by October. Of course, this means I need to get off my fanny and finish the operations manual among other things. Like, finalizing the marketing plan and learning how to work the cash register.

The best part of this is that we will be able to fund collection development in a more consistent and generous manner. Just had a discussion with the book store committee on Monday about the collection. One gentleman observed that the selection of books is somewhat limited in certain genres. He is so right. I brought this up Friday during my regular monthly lunch with the director. She agreed and let me know that they've added 150 new authors to their standing order lists. Yippee!!!!!

Sad but true, librarians have their 'favorites.' I know I did, but I also felt a keen responsibility to purchase a well rounded assortment of books for the YA collection.

We all need to be willing to cut those doorways and try something new. The monies the Friends earn will help the community try new authors. Change is so good.

No comments: