Wednesday, June 15, 2011

summer reading

The oldest has some interesting reading assignments for her senior AP English class. She is reading contemporary poets, folks like Sylvia Plath, Elizabeth Bishop and Allen Ginsberg. She is also reading a Vietnam era book called, "The Things they Carried." Some challenging content for a 17 year old, but it has provided launching points for some in depth discussions.  What a wonderful opportunity to observe how she is forming her thoughts and opinions at this point in her life. That evolution makes me proud and a bit sad. She is growing up.

My summer reading is far from weighty in nature. I found a new paranormal series at the library a while back and am reading the first book. Werecats.  I like it so far and wish I could spend a bit more time with the novel. I read a few pages and then get called away or have to set it aside to work on something.

Well, it is Wednesday and the week is half gone. Summer days seems to fly by at a much fast clip than days in other times of the year.

3 comments:

The English Teacher said...

I recall writing an essay on Sylvia Plath's "Crossing the Water" for AP English, after we'd read "Daddy" in class and discussed it. Cheery stuff. (not).
Our teacher also assigned Cancer Ward over Christmas break. Let's see: Stalin-era Siberian labor camps for the holidays! Fun!! (not).
Hey, at least she doesn't have to do Morrison's Beloved, which I believe is pretty standard for AP English nowadays. (I missed it, too, by virtue of the fact that it hadn't been published yet in 1983. :)
My best wishes to your AP girl.

EYR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EYR said...

She also gets to read "Crime and Punishment" this summer. I told her that Russian Lit makes you appreciate the lighter things in life! I will pass along your best wishes...she 'knows' who you are as when we've had our Twilight discussions and your comments/observations have been referenced.