Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cleopatra as a vampire

One of the books I picked up at the library this week is the debut novel "Queen of Kings" by Maria Dahvana Headley. Lots of praise for this book from authors like Neil Gaiman, Peter Straub and Garth Stein. I'm on page 82 and have to admit that I'm intrigued, but not yet totally enthusiastic. The story begins with Cleopatra and Anthony readying for battle with Octavian. Cleopatra, suspecting she will need otherworldly assistance to defeat Rome's army, has asked her children's tutor to translate an ancient spell and summon the goddess Sekhmet to assist her and Egypt. But, the spell is incomplete and when the translation is cobbled together, something apparently, went wrong. Sekhmet appears and Cleopatra is changed, forever.

I keep flashing back to the Anne Rice novel, Queen of the Damned. Are Egyptian, vampiric queens all the same?

I will keep reading and find out!

No comments: