Monday, June 27, 2011

Queen of Kings by Maria Dahvana Headley

I really wanted to love this book. Rome. Egypt. Cleopatra. Mark Antony. Octavian. In some ways, the Cleopatra story has been done to death. No pun intended. But, I hoped this fresh voice and new twist on the tale would provide hours of reading pleasure.

The writing was fine. The story rolled out at a nice pace. Some of the scenes were really good. But, I never connected with Cleopatra and found myself enjoying the chapters featuring some of the supporting characters more.

This is a decent read, yet I finished a bit disappointed. The novel blends elements I truly enjoy: history, fantasy, mythology. But, for a character driven novel, something was missing. Bummer.

Monday has arrived after a very nice weekend. I feel well rested and ready for the week ahead. Looking forward to seeing some friends and some Friends at different gatherings.  Looks like I will wrap June up in a good way!

No comments: