Tuesday, January 25, 2011

what you leave behind

I've started my second year as president of the Friends group. I'm already thinking about my transition out of the group. I guess some might think those thoughts are a bit premature, but I feel a very keen responsibility to the person coming after me.

The president before me came in and hadn't been very active with our group. She struggled a bit at first getting to know the routine, but as we had seasoned 'managers' in place, they steered her along and she soon hit her stride. She was an experienced 'president' because she had been at the helm of several other groups in our town through the years.

This is my first presidential role, but I came into this position straight from managing the bookstore and I knew all the players, their personalities and the role I was taking on when I said yes to the nominating committee.

But the role of president and the responsibilities have never been written down or defined. I'm going to attempt to do that. I want to write down what I've done and why I did it. Whether the next person decides to follow that model or adjust it or ditch it will be up to him/her.

Part of this process will be to streamline our website and our media presence. I'm working right now with our website person to get our very beautiful site down to two generic pages. She wants to move on and as of now, no one in the group has the skill or interest in this aspect of our group like she does. 

The bottom line is I want to hand the reins over with a clean conscience. I want to give the next person as much guidance and direction as I can manage.

I love this group and I love our mission and I want the group to continue to flourish after I leave it.

No comments: