Friday, January 28, 2011

25 years ago today

People tend to remember exactly what they were doing when tragedy strikes. When the tragedy is of national importance, that day is burned into our collective memory and provides a common ground that other events just don't foster.

I remember standing in line at the Teter-Elkin dining hall when the news about the Challenger explosion was announced. I remember attending a lecture regarding media coverage of the event. I remember one of the local newspaper editors gloating over a colored picture of the explosion versus a black and white photo. I remember the laughing that followed.

I remember feeling sick.

I've never held a job in my 'field' of education. I switched my emphasis from broadcasting to magazine writing during my next advisory session.

Major events and their aftermaths change us. Our outlook is changed, sometimes for long term, sometimes for a few weeks or months. And it never hurts to reflect back, when those anniversaries roll around, on who we were at that moment and to evaluate who we are now.

No comments: