Wednesday, January 5, 2011

beautiful darkness

I've always thought it would be great fun to write a book with a friend. I've read books from hubby and wife writing teams. I've also read one that had a 'ghost' writer.  The Caster Chronicles, I believe, are the first books I've read from two friends.  I had the pleasure of being at our local library when Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl visited to promote the first book in this series, "Beautiful Creatures."  You could tell they were long time friends and they obviously had fun writing the book.

I enjoyed the first novel. They did a really good job capturing teen voices and creating a very interesting world where magic coexists with the rest of us. Setting it in the South allowed for a nice infusion of local color and custom.

This second book, "Beautiful Darkness" is an okay story. At times I felt the book included too much. Too many extra characters, too much teen angst, too much...well...stuff.  It almost read like they were trying too hard. The plot seemed to labor under a heavy load of extras.

My oldest has read the first book and when I commented to her my impressions on this current novel, she said that is how she felt reading Beautiful Creatures.

Whatever my impressions, I most likely will read the next installment. Garcia and Stohl left us hanging with two of the teen characters and I will want to see how their stories unfold.

No comments: