Tuesday, August 25, 2009

what is old is new again

Several years back when I first began to dabble with fiction writing, I submitted an essay to a now defunct newsletter/magazine published by Mary Englebreit. It was published, I was paid (whee) and all was well in my world. Around that same time I was working on writing a time-travel romance novel. Part of learning how to craft a book is reading all of the books you can in the same genre. I picked up a romance by Karen Marie Moning and dove into her "Highlander" series. I loved it. I emailed her....and she wrote back. We exchanged several notes and she was very sweet and helpful to this novice would-be novelist....even if she graduated from Purdue and I graduated from IU.

Since then she has gone on to publish several more books. I've read all of her Highlander series, but for some reason never picked up her "Fever" books when they first came out. Last week, I found the first one in that series and brought it home. Awesome read and I will be hunting down the other titles in this series.

I found her website; wow, money and credentials sure can jazz up an online presences, neat site. She now has an assistant to answer her email....yep, she's a MAJOR author now with the "Fever" books even being optioned by Hollywood.

I'd love to send her a note, but in the eight years since we first emailed, I'm sure she's had a gazillion fans write to her and what is a special memory for me may be long forgotten by her. She was one of the first to congratulate me on my essay's publication and shared with me how when her first book was published she actually licked the cover!

I'm so happy she has done so well and obviously has the staying power that some authors never achieve.

Well done, Karen...from your fellow Hoosier.

1 comment:

Kim Smith said...

Fakercarb. WRITE HER. She will be thrilled you remembered her so fondly!