Thursday, August 6, 2009

the new normal

"The new normal" is a catch phrase I've heard in reference to the economy and just today in regards to a health situation. People may not like change, but we are hardwired to adapt, cope and adjust.

We find a way to absorb the changes that life throws at us and either live with those changes or live around them. Not that we don't like to complain about having to change and adapt, because boy do we like to let everyone know that we are doing just that.

I was pretty worn out by the time I got home yesterday after three meetings in a row. But, on the good side, the meetings went smoothly and the exchanges were even keeled. Today the information will be given out to more people and hopefully the 'new normal' will be absorbed without much complaint. For some reason, even small changes can kick up a firestorm...in many ways larger storms than big changes induce.

Even though I was at the library for a significant chunk of time yesterday, I neglected to get a book to read. Last night I scanned my bookshelf thinking I would reread an old favorite and instead realized I had the first four books in the Ann B. Ross "Miss Julia" series, but had never read them. They are stacked on my nightstand now and will most likely fall like dominoes as we enjoy the few last days of summer before the 'new normal' of the school year begins.

2 comments:

Anne's BLOG said...

You are in for some real fun reading with "Miss Julia" ! That gal can swing with the best, believe Me !
Change is inevitable, but as a Libra (October) I resist change categorically... for all the good it does.. (None). Gotta get on with it and smile anyway. Can't think of a single day that doesn't include some kind of changes...can you?

Elizabeth said...

GREAT post, love how you put to words what I am thinking!