Monday, August 10, 2009

the reading fiend

I've been reading like a fiend over the last few days. I checked out every book our library had in one series and am plowing through another series my mom had loaned to me a few years back and I'd never finished.

First off, the Ophelia and Abby Mysteries by Shirley Damsgaard, are wonderfully told stories about a small town librarian, Ophelia, who just happens to be a psychic as well as a witch. She has the unfortunate 'ability' of stumbling over dead bodies and then the stubbornness that requires she solves the murder. Abby is her grandmother, a very wise and experienced witch descended from the 'granny' women of the Appalachia region. I devoured the first four of these books in two days.

Next up, Ann B. Ross is the author of the beloved Miss Julia series. Miss Julia goes through life with such style and grace, of course, those around her don't always seem to appreciate the 'code' by which she was raised or has lived her life...hilarity ensues. I'm into the third book in this series.

Both series provide a nice mystery that needs solving, plenty of well drawn characters and snappy dialogue.

Well, my oldest two are hustling around trying to get ready for their first day of school. Better go and provide traffic control.

No comments: