Tuesday, August 18, 2009

we interrupt our regularly scheduled....

I ventured into Wally-world yesterday to buy the dog a bag of food. His Iams has been getting steadily more expensive at Target and Schnucks, so when I learned that 'the store that shall not be named' carried it, I bit the bullet and hauled myself over there.

Of course, being the efficient person I am, I decided I would be a big girl and get the few other things I needed beyond the dog food. I could do it, I had the will and the brains to outsmart 'the store.'

I managed to find all the items on my list; nothing worse than shopping for groceries in an unfamiliar layout. Sometimes things just aren't where they should be and you wonder at the logic abilities of those folks who make a living deciding where products should be placed. For example, why wasn't the Velveeta by the other cheeses and dairy products? Who would put it in the middle of an aisle filled with non dairy things? Ugh.

Once I got the last thing on my list, I headed back across the store to find an open cashier, grumble, grumble, grumble...I had already had my morning walk and it seemed like I was going to be treated to another one in order to pay for my purchases and exit the building. Along the way I passed the book aisle.

Evil book aisle. Lo and behold they actually stock some decent sci-fi, urban fantasy titles. I found the latest release by Lilith Saintcrow, "Redemption Alley." Of course, the price was such that I tossed it into the cart. I deserved a reward for successfully navigating 'the store' and tried to ignore the fact that the money I saved on the dog food was now going to pay for the paperback book I had to buy.

I guess those folks who decide where products go may know something about human nature after all. Because after you spend a chunk of time trying to get all the groceries on your list, you feel you deserve a reward and a shiny new paperback book priced at under $6 was just the thing to put a smile back on my face.

So, after I wrote all of my press releases, outlined the store manager's job for the bookstore, did a load of laundry and got dinner ready, I stopped reading Miss Julia and started reading all about Jill Kismet and her latest adventures keeping the streets of Santa Luz clean of hellbreed, scurf and other creatures from the nightside.

Go figure.

1 comment:

Anne's BLOG said...

Sounds like you survived the forage into the Unknown at 'that store'. BUT if you go back next week (perish the thought), you would find everything totally rearranged in the grocery section, and have to start all over in your search. I think they do that busy-work to keep the customers in a state of anxiety.
Since you found the shiny new pb book, it was not a totally wasted excursion. Cheers!