Thursday, August 20, 2009

my disappearing tbr pile

TBR pile: to be read pile

Now that we have that out of the way, I cut through Lilith Saintcrow's "Redemption Alley" like the proverbial hot knife through butter. Saintcrow's writing style is best described as, take no prisoners. She isn't afraid of getting her characters dirty, gritty, bloody and puts you on the edge of your seat with rollercoaster plots. Jill Kismet is the heroine of this series and she is a Hunter....which means she is a Church and Law Enforcement sanctioned killer of all the monsters that roam the streets. She is very effective and due to a deal she made with a denizen of Hell, she heals up from every amazing injury she endures in her efforts to keep the Nightside from taking over her town. Not for the faint of heart, Saintcrow's books are fine urban fantasy/horror/sci-fi reads.

On a totally different note, I finished the last Miss Julia book I had stashed away. "Miss Julia Hits the Road" was a delightful read and if picturing a 60 something Southern Lady on the back of a Harley doesn't bring a grin to your face, not much will. I've enjoyed the first four books in this series and plan on reading the rest of the Miss Julia stories.

I now need to finish "Face Down Beside St. Anne's Well," by Kathy Lynn Emerson. These historical mysteries about Lady Susanna Appleton are fun to read; good plot, good characters and I always learn something about Elizabethan times.

Once I finish the Emerson book, my TBR pile will be wiped out.....but, never fear, I'm off to the library again today to see what came in as donations and to scan the shelves for my next 'victims.'

No comments: