Tuesday, March 25, 2014

school stuff

The new school system is doing an early registration this week to try and get a more accurate headcount for next year. With the municipal districts coming online, the families who live in our town but were zoned for the high school in the neighboring town have some choices to make. If they all come back...well, the school will be at 140% capacity.

I think we will be a bit overcrowded, but I don't think it will be by that much. Are they going to have to expand? Perhaps. Or, maybe they will reorganize a bit. They have several choices.

But, I need to dig out our proof of residence and the enrollment packet for the boy and stop at the high school after work to stand in line and get him on the rolls for next year.

The ladies are joining me for lunch today! That will be fun and something to look forward to.

Happy Tuesday!

4 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Now I'm curious. What are average class sizes for your area in various grade levels? Utah tends to be way above the national average, but I'm just curious to see how close you are to my "normal."

EYR said...

Most of my son's classes have under 25 students. While he was in middle school, the class size was about the same.

Lisa Shafer said...

Wow. That's a TINY class in Utah. For us, 35 is average, and it's often 42 or so. I tend to complain after 40, as I've only got 40 desks in the class, and it's hard to manage more than 40 kids if no one's absent to free up a desk or two. We occasionally have academic classes with 50 in them, but that's a bit rare. PE classes, however, are often as high as 85. Our state legislature thinks that this is economical and is proud that we do things this way.

EYR said...

That is nuts. Way too many kids for that age. Utah's legislature sounds about as crazy as Tennessee's.