Tuesday, March 18, 2014

100

Although my Grandma Hillsman died back in 2009, I realized a few days ago that today would have been her 100th birthday. I was very fortunate to have my grandparents live as long as they did. They all lived to see me get married and have children. As people postpone marriage and starting their families, that sort of dynamic often gets lost.

I have wonderful memories of spending time with Grandma Hillsman. Her kitchen was a very busy place, both in activity, and in decor. I don't think I will ever see bright orange kitchen cabinets again in my life! She liked bright, loud, patterns and had the personality to carry it off. She loved to tell stories and would keep you entertained for hours. She loved to gossip, although, she would tell you that if it was true, it wasn't gossip!

She knew how to have fun. And she knew how to enjoy life. Hers wasn't an easy one by many standards, but she never seemed to let it show.

I miss all of my grandparents every single day. It never goes away, but it seems to hurt a bit less as time passes by. The good memories become even stronger and more vibrant. Maybe our memories are even colored a bit by the passing of time.

So, Happy 100th Birthday, Grandma H!! Us March girls need to stick together!! xoxo

No comments: