Wednesday, June 6, 2012

what to do at work when there is nothing to do

Hmmmmmm. I've been asking myself this question a lot and I can usually come up with some 'things' to keep myself occupied until my boss gives me a task. I always start the day, once he arrives and gets settled, with a conversation focusing on what we need to get done that day.

I ask for work.

Sometimes, like yesterday, I might be given a project that takes up an hour of the day. Other days, I might be lucky enough to get a project that can take the whole morning! Score!

I spent most of yesterday doing background research on the convention speakers I identified as possible feature article possibilities. So, I got to read about a wildlife biologist and a bio-ethics philosopher. I kept myself entertained and actually learned quite a bit about those folks in case my idea for writing articles about them actually gets approved.

I'm sure once they truly decide to DO this magazine I was hired to help with, I will have work to do. Nothing moves quickly in my place of employment and new ideas are looked at with suspicion a with an eye on how much more work it would entail.

This attitude is not an age thing. Could it be a southern thing? Or is it just how the workforce is today? Everyone hides in their cubbies afraid to stick their heads out and actually DO SOMETHING!

Yesterday an hour was devoted to giving the receptionist her lunch break. Today I might work on what/how I want to train my replacement over in my old job.

Do I miss my old job? Yes. I do miss it. I always had things to do. Perhaps in six months time I will be longing for these long, slow, boring days.

But this week, it is just about to drive me nuts.


1 comment:

Lisa Shafer said...

In my job, of course, there's never a "nothing to do" moment. But I did notice the receptionists trying to fill time at the doctors' office on Monday. Their answer? Pinterest.
I laughed.