Thursday, June 21, 2012

going home again

Summer is going by much too quickly for me. This morning I'm wishing I had a week long vacation; a real leave work on Friday and take the whole next week off. What a treat that would be. But, I know I won't see an extended break like that until Christmas time.

My bestest buddy, we've been friends since we met on the first day of college, is moving back to where we grew up. Her hubby took a job at the BIG university in town and after living on the East Coast, in England, in France, and in other locales in the Midwest they are returning to where it all started. She is happy he has a good job again, she's happy that she will be close to her mom who is not in the best of health, but she is having very mixed feelings about moving back 'home.'

I can understand that. She and her hubby left 26 years ago and now they are returning. You really can't go home again, in the true sense of the word. Beyond family, she doesn't know anyone there anymore. She is going to try and connect with some of the friends I had up there - folks I met after she had moved away. Before I moved away.

It is hard to start over. New church. New schools. New neighborhood. At some point, the comfort of the routine and the familiar is well.....comforting. Maybe more so when so many internal family things are spinning wildly - she will have two in college, two in high school, and two in elementary school. Lots of adjusting on many fronts.

Enough of that for today, it is Thursday after all and the weekend is coming up! And that is always a great thing.








No comments: