Thursday, June 28, 2012

buzzwords

I was working on some content yesterday. That was how I thought of it, which when I realized that was the label in my head, I laughed. I wasn't working on article, features, stories, letters....nope, it was content.

Just a couple of weeks earlier, my boss and I made a list of the current buzzwords in the communications universe. I don't have enough coffee in me to recreate the list, but 'content' is one. It is often used in the following phrases: editorial content, content curation, and editorial content curation. Heck, 'curation' is a new one. Not curator...that would be the person doing the curation.....Ha! I see curation used all the time in reference to social media. We must curate our content!

Buzzwords sneak into our vocabulary. When you read journals, blogs, newspapers, magazines and other communication vehicles, you can't help but absorb these phrases. I really need to bring that list home and add the other phrases we identified.

****Here are more of these industry buzzwords, or as my blog friend Lisa said, jargon! That word escaped me at 5:00 a.m. this morning!******

Monetize organically
Best practices
Social media platforms

A long time ago, in another life it seems, a seminar I attended warned us of using bank-lingo when we talked to customers. That warning still applies today.

These buzzwords don't mean diddly to folks outside the industry.

Happy Thursday.

2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Jargon.
Education jargon is filled with acronyms. The teachers at our school make fun of this trend all the time. :)

Kim Smith said...

Isn't it interesting how words clutter up all walks? Kids have their own words. And by George, you'd better use them or you just ain't cool. Erp. Sorry. That's old hippie jargon ! *grin*