Tuesday, May 29, 2012

the hazy and not so lazy days of summer

Summer is underway. The oldest departed for the university last night in order to attend registration/orientation today and tomorrow. Wow. Hubby is there with her as I didn't have enough PTO earned to take time off for this trip.

In other exciting news, we purchased new kitchen appliances yesterday. After looking, comparing, chatting, reviewing for days, we took the plunge. It should be interesting as all of it will be delivered just a few days before the oldest's graduation party.

I've been reading "The Crown" by Nancy Bilyeau. Set during Henry VIII's reign, this novel features a backdrop of the dissolution of the convents and monasteries, but has several mysteries for novice Dominican nun, Joanna Stafford to solve including why King Athelstan's missing crown is coveted by the powers at be.

Short week! Yippee!! I also start my summer hours today and will arrive a half hour early so I can leave earlier in the afternoon.

Summer Reading has started at the library and it seems the kickoff event went well. Of course, nothing brings them out like free food and I guess the free TCBY did the trick.  The current Friends president got the emailed newsletter out and did a wonderful job on it. Whew. I can let that responsibility go with no reservations or regrets now.

Although the literacy committee met last week, I haven't heard a report on what they decided at the meeting. Not sure what is up with that, but I'm almost afraid to email and ask. Ignorance is bliss? Might just be true in this case.

Enjoy the day.




4 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Ah, Nat King Cole. Love the guy. And that song. :)

Wow. You've really had a busy week.

As to college orientation, etc. They seem to be doing that a lot more than when I was young. My brother's kids all had big deals like that. But when my brother and I began university, the orientation was merely an afternoon affair the Saturday before classes began.
My dad says universities do this to kiss up to parents in hopes they will donate more money. To me, it seems that we baby kids a lot more now than we did years ago.
I know this is your oldest, so you're probably glad to baby her just a big longer. But do you notice a difference? What was it like when you went off to uni?

EYR said...

Yep, it has been busy! Crazy busy, but we are coping.

I didn't have college orientation. None. I attended a small Catholic college for my first two years and then transferred to a Big 10 university for my last two. When I went off to the uni I drove down with a friend, picked my classes and drove home. That was that. I think once I arrived on campus, I attended one 'new student' meeting, realized I was older than everyone as I was a junior already and left early.

The kid and the hubby seem to be having a good time, but they are tired of back to back presentations/meetings and they still have a half day to go tomorrow. He said they are learning a lot, it is well organized, she is excited about it all and he's ready to come home! Ha!

I would say your assessment is right. We baby them. Spoon feeding, big time. Although, due to my 'mean nature' our daughter already knows how to clean, do laundry, and lock doors. She also knows how to complete her own school work.

All four of those things were mentioned as skills the students needed to have before arriving on campus!

Kim Smith said...

i have been enjoying taking short lunches to get off early on Fridays, so i know what you mean!

Lisa Shafer said...

If your daughter has self-discipline, she'll do just fine. So many people don't have that nowadays.
Yeah, I had "mean" mom too. And I was plenty ready.