Wednesday, May 2, 2012

the 3,000

I made it downtown, parked the car, had some lunch and got to the convention center at the perfect moment. The deputies were just opening the doors to the huge room we were to gather in and I managed to sneak in and grab a seat on the end of row two. This, I had been told, was prime seating. The trick to jury duty is to get your week and get out of there. That is just what I did, after informative lectures from the clerk, a judge, another judge and then the clerk again. They called the first week, I dashed to the side of the room, was about fifth in line, handed in my summons notice, got my jury week card and left the building.

Three thousand folks gathered in that room yesterday. We were told 13,000 summons had been mailed in the last 10 days.

I will be experiencing the second phase of this process in July when I have to report for the actual jury selection event.

Happy Wednesday.

No comments: