Thursday, April 5, 2012

the thirteen hallows

Most definitely a book for adults, "The Thirteen Hallows" by Michael Scott and Colette Freedman makes for some fast reading. The Thirteen Hallows are ancient 'artifacts' imbued with special powers to keep the world save from demonkind. But, the Hallows can never be brought together as they will also form keys to unlock the door between our world and the demon world.

So, of course, we have a crazy guy trying to get the 13 items from their 13 guardians and do just that.

Scott and Freedman put some interesting twists on Celtic folklore as well as the entire Judeo-Christian faith system.

Lots of sex and graphic violence in this one, most definitely not for the younger crowd. But, in some ways, a bit refreshing to have a fantasy adventure novel aimed at adults!

Yes, this is the first in a series of books, as is almost every other book I read these days. I'm looking forward to the next title.

Thumbs up.

2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Celtic? that always gets my interest.

EYR said...

Lisa, the book has a lot of violence in it, too much in many ways. I wish they would have pruned those scenes and instead beefed up some of the Celtic backstory. The murders are very graphically described. I skimmed those scenes....too much for me and I read pretty gritty stuff.