Saturday, December 31, 2011

the year in review

Of course, my kids and hubby achieved a variety of amazing things this past year, but I'm going to be 'self centered' and focus on the big things that impacted me in 2011 as we edge closer to a new year.

The biggest thing was my return to the paid workforce in April. After a brief and soul numbing stint at a regional bank, I landed a sweet job with a national science nonprofit. Thank goodness for that Big Ten degree, which, according to my boss, sealed the deal. I have perfect hours, a nice office, friendly coworkers and a boss who gets my Yankee humor and can talk basketball with the best of them. I. Lucked. Out. BIG TIME. Being thankful doesn't even begin to cover how I feel.

I wrapped up my two year role as president of the Friends of the Library. As a group, we continued to make money and supported our mission to have the best Library in the region. I've never been happier and so sad to have a 'job' end. It was time to move on, but what a wonderful experience the Friends were for me. And, I can still help them, in my own way, by doing their electronic newsletter and organizing the publicity for the book sales.

Even with my return to the workforce, I still managed to read over 50 books in 2011. No where near my high total of 100 titles, but a respectable number considering my obligations.  And I'm entering the new year with a brand new Nook Tablet, thanks to my sweet hubby.

The year ahead will bring new challenges and adventures; opportunities for growth and learning. But, I'm in a good place as are the kids and hubby. 2011 is almost one for the books and 2012 is itching to roll on into our lives.

Time to begin anew. A new chance to get it, or at least most of it, right!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Cheers my friend!!! Keep me posted on how you like the Nook! My husband changed me over to a Droid phone and I am having a terrible time with my learning curve, lol! And I am reluctant to switch away from my tattered books :) Look forward to a great 2012~

EYR said...

Cheers to you, Elizabeth. Hug those babies of yours (not so little anymore) and embrace the Droid learning curve. I finally will upgrade to a qwerty keyboard on my cell phone this year! Woot!! I love my Nook and have just started to scratch the surface on what this amazing device can do.

Lisa...smiles back at ya and best wishes for a wonderful new year filled with publishing success!