Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas in Nemacolin

As we are having company for Christmas this year, I've been noodling (no pun intended) over what we will be serving those 4-5 days. I like to have the menu planned out...all three meals and snacks. Works better for me and I will not apologize for my OCD nature when it comes to my kitchen, pantry, fridge or freezer!

These thoughts stirred up memories of Christmas food from years gone by. It seems my friend Kim has also been walking down a version of holiday food memory lane too as her blog just began to 'discuss' the same topic.

Writing Space has a great entry on chess pie, one of our favorites as my son adores pie and will request two pies instead of birthday cake.

My food memory for today involves my Grandma H. She lived in the coal country region of Pennsylvania and could bake like no other woman I've ever known. She would fill the top of an entire picnic table with nut rolls, cookies, apricot rolls, poppy seed rolls (we grew up calling them kolach) as well as kieflies and other Eastern-European delicacies. Yum.  I swear I could gain 5 pounds just thinking about those treats.

The only part I hated was when I was sent to the basement to get things to refill the platters upstairs. I hated her basement...it was dark and old and creepy. Even as an adult I had a totally irrational fear that the 'bogey-man' lived in the bottom of that house!

I think the only time I felt safe down there was if she was down there with me!

My Grandma H has been gone for several years now, but Christmas in her home was one of the highlights of my childhood. Being with my cousins, a group of my aunts and uncles gathered around her dining room table in her little home, going to midnight Mass all dressed up in a fancy dress, tights and patten leather shoes....fantastic memories. I also have stories, things I've been told that happened when I was so little I don't have a true memory. Like when my Grandfather 'wrestled' Santa for more presents for me!

Christmas in Nemacolin.......I think we probably only spent, at most, 6 of them there, but what wonderful memories I have!

No comments: